Thursday, March 17, 2011

Here's to a New Start...

This is my second attempt at blogging about my life with depression and borderline personality disorder (BPD). Last time around, I made the critical mistake of letting some people into my world who never should have been allowed to be there...and I got burned. So this time, I'm going to be much, much more careful. This time, I'm not reaching out to any friends and family who I (wrongfully) thought would be supportive and understanding (let's just say I'm not going to make that mistake again). Instead, I'm going to try to connect with people who really DO understand what I am dealing with, because they or someone they know is living it. Because the truth of the matter is that I so badly need to connect with those people, in order to not feel so alone.

So here's to new beginnings...let's hope for better luck this time around.

9 comments:

  1. Sadly, I understand. I thought about giving my family my new blog address, but think they wouldn't understand and thus, be critical rather than supportive. I learned a long time ago that if I share too much with others, some will use it as ammunition against me--sooner or later. Actually, I think it is good for me to have to act "normal" and hide my illness because in so doing, acting "as if", I tend to forget the negative and become more who I act like. On the other hand, by beginning to blog I hope to be able to share who I honestly am within a new community of others who are Borderline or Bipolar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you for trying again.
    Hope you only receive the positive feedback and support this time around.
    I'll be reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you started over. We're all here to support you.
    Good luck!!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your support! And Linda, that's exactly what happened with me...as much as I was open to potentially receiving criticism from people I didn't know, I wasn't expecting it from family...but that's exactly what I got. It always hurts so much more when it comes from people you thought you could trust...needless to say, I won't be sharing this address with family any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same problem with family - to admit that a fm has any problems means you may have to face your own, I hope you accept me in your life, my daughter has been diagnosed very recently with BPD and I hope I can learn from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jen! And Vicki, I hope that my blog helps you in some way :) One important thing I've learned is that a BPD diagnosis is not the end of the world...it is totally manageable, once you figure out how to handle it (even if it doesn't seem so at times). Learning as much as you can is important...it certainly has helped me immensely...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't tell any friends about the blog either, well only my boyfriend but he doesn't read it if I don't ask him to.
    I hope this time it all goes well.
    To new beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, MyThought...so far, this has been a much better approach for me :)

    ReplyDelete